As the federally designated, nonprofit organ procurement organization (OPO) for the state of Arizona, Donor Network of Arizona (DNA) is here to be your donation resource. In support of this goal, DNA provides many educational opportunities for hospital staff. This is in accordance with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Conditions of Participation that states:
- 482.45 Condition of Participation:
Organ, tissue, and cornea procurement.
(5) Ensure that the hospital works cooperatively with the designated OPO, tissue bank and eye bank in educating staff on donation issues, reviewing death records to improve identification of potential donors, and maintaining potential donors while necessary testing and placement of potential donated organs, tissues, and corneas take place.
Educational Programs and Recertification Classes
- New Employee Orientation
Course Goal: Recognize the components of the hospital’s donation program as well as basic donation information.
DNA’s Donor Program Development coordinators can customize and tailor education for individual units.
- Organ Donation and the Respiratory Therapist
Course Goal: Fulfill the respiratory therapist’s role in organ donor cases.
- Community Outreach
Interested in holding a registry drive at your hospital? Your Donor Program Development coordinator can help arrange all of your community education needs.
Continuing Nursing Education
- Advanced Donor Nurse Class – 5.5 contact hours
Course Goal: Apply advanced knowledge of donor management in a critical care setting.
- Designated Tissue Requestor Class
Course Goal: Collaborate with DNA to conduct the family discussion for tissue and cornea donation. CMS Requirement
- Donation and the Critical Care Nurse Class
Course Goal: Perform the duties of a critical care nurse in the donation process.
- Organ Donation and the OR Class
Course Goal: Partner with DNA in the OR for organ recovery.
- Donation Overview Class
Course Goal: Recognize the process of organ donation from identifying potential donors to organ allocation.
- The Referral Process Class
Course Goal: Complete the referral process in a timely manner.
- Planned Donation Path Class
Course Goal: Collaborate with DNA staff on potential organ donor cases.