Regulatory and accreditation standards guide hospitals in the requirements for quality patient care and ensure that organ, eye and tissue donation and transplantation can occur when possible. The following are links to regulations, standards and Arizona’s law related to donation:
- The Joint Commission Standards
- DNV Organ and Tissue Standards
- CMS Conditions of Participation
- Uniform Anatomical Gift Act – Revised Arizona Statutes 36-841 – 864
- State of California Department of Public Health
NOT SUBJECT TO HIPAA REGULATIONS
Because the donation and transplantation process requires donation agencies to review confidential patient information or “protected health information,” donor hospitals often ask about HIPAA. Donor Network of Arizona should not be regarded as a “Health Care Provider,” and therefore, should not be considered to be a “Covered Entity” and subject to HIPAA. To learn more, please read Donor Network of Arizona’s HIPAA Fact Sheet for Donor Hospitals.